terça-feira, 22 de novembro de 2011

Present Perfect

Present Perfect Tense: We form the Present Perfect tense with the Present of the verb to have +Past Participle of the main verb


Present            Past                         Past Participle

to be            was / were                   been


Example.: I have been here for three hours.

She has never been there.


Irregular Regular

Present                           past                                      Past Participle

go                                went                                         gone

meet                             met                                          met




Regular Verbs: The past participle and the Past are the same


Present                            Past                         Past Participle

arrive                             arrived                              arrived

live                                lived                                     lived

play                             played                                  played



The Present Perfect tense: we use have or has + Past Participle




Affirmative /Negative/ Interrogative

I have seen Mary /  I haven’t seen Mary /Have I seen Mary?

You have seen Mary/You haven’t seen Mary  /Have you seen Mary ?

He has seen Mary / He hasn’t seen  Mary /Has he seen Mary ?

She has seen Mary / She hasn’t seen  Mary / Has she seen Mary ?

It has seen Mary  /It hasn’t seen Mary / Has it seen  Mary ?

We have seen Mary / We haven’t seen Mary / Have we seen Mary ?

You have seen  Mary /You haven’t seen Mary / Have you seen Mary ?

They have seen Mary / They haven’t seen Mary /Have they seen Mary ?
Short Form: I have = I’ve you have = you’ve             he has = he’s

Example: He’s been here. She’s been here. I’ve been here.


We use the Present Perfect for an action at an indefinite time in the past, where the emphasis is not on the time but on the action.


exemple: I have been to Argentina. (We don’t mention the time or when)

exemple: she has cleaned her house.

Let’s compare Present Perfect to Simple Past




Simple Past                                                              Present Perfect

I saw Mary at the party yesterday.                            I have seen Mary.

I went to the club lats week.                                     I have been to the club
He traveled to Paris last year                                    He has traveled to Paris.
He worked hard yesterday.                                      He has worked hard.

Pay attention to the difference.

Simple Past we always mention the time.

Yesterday, last week, two days ago, etc.
Present Perfect we just give emphasis on The action.

We also use :


Have you ever been to the USA?

Have you been to the new shopping mall?

Have you ever been to Canada?

Has she ever been to a concert?

Have you ever been to Bahia?

Have you ever been to Rio? (ever is emphatic)

Pay attention to the difference:

- She has been to the USA. (She was there, but now she is back)

- She has gone to the USA. (She is there now or on her way there)



We Also Use The Present Perfect For A Period Of Time Not Finished, Such As: Today, This Week, This Year, Etc.

Example: Have you read the newspaper today?

Have you traveled this year?

Have you watched T.V. today?

Those Questions We Use In The Present Perfect:

WHY? Because when we ask “Have you read the newspaper today” (today is not over, not finished)

You can read the newspaper later. (today will be over only at midnight)

So the Present Perfect is used for actions whereby the action can be continued or repeated.

For example: when you ask – Did you read the newspaper yesterday? (yesterday is over, finished)

In Present Perfect the action is not over or finished, you can still read the newspaper today.

- Have you read the newspaper today?

Example:

{_______________________________________________...................................................}


1987 2000 2020


I have worked here for 17 years

When we want to show the length of time of an action or state of being, that began in the past


and is still continuing.

{_________________________________________________________________________}


4:00 o’clock 6:00 o’clock

I arrived at 4:00 o’clock I am still here
I have been here for 2 hours.
I have been here since 4:00 o’clock.

So we always use FOR or SINCE (Present Perfect) when we are talking about time.

SINCE = yesterday, last year, 2:00 o’clock.

FOR = two years, two hours, months, years.
PS: We only use yesterday, last night in the Present Perfect with since:

Example: I saw Mary yesterday.

I haven’t seen Mary since yesterday.
I met Peter last night.
I haven’t met Peter since last night.

(since last night shows a length of time) {____________________ SINCE _________________}

yesterday now
- How long have you been here?
- I have been here since four o’clock.
- I have been here for 2 hours.
- How long have you worked here?
- I have worked here for 2 years.
- I have worked here since 1999.

We also use the Present Perfect frequently with the words:


Ever - Have you ever been to Europe?

Just - for an action completed just now ( short time ago):

She has just arrived. She has just left.

Already - “do your homework!” “I have already done it.”

“clean your room!” “I have already cleaned it.”

Yet - Usually in the negative and interrogative

I haven’t done my homework yet. I will do it later.

Have you done your homework yet?










Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário